Sunday, September 20, 2009

Happy Days!

As we reach autumn, the weather has been unusually warm. It's great for the new lawn that is growing because of the landscaping job just finished a week ago. The front wall of my house had timbers and were decaying. A beautiful block wall now decorates the neighborhood - at least according to my neighbors. They actually exclaimed among one another - you know that new wall on the next block. The one with swirls. Did you see how fast it went up?! (it took 4 days).

Yesterday one of my neighbors celebrated 53 years in the neighborhood with a great neighborhood get-together. It always surprising me when I meet neighbors who live within a block of me. Almost everyone knows me because I'm gardening so often. It was such fun.

The pot luck was indeed a lucky pot - lots of everything! We all ate well. My leftovers I sent home with a large family that might be able to consume that much fruit.

Over this last week I successfully encouraged the lawn - about 1/2 is covered in grass.

Today as well as Friday I enjoyed mini-golf knowing that each time is more precious as the season closes. The honey bees are feasting as are the wasps and hornets. I can't figure out how to kill the wasps and hornets without destroying the honey bees (that I think come from the U of M agricultural campus). So I tried to use a lopper to reach into the garden to cut down some of the weeds. Unfortunately the munchers decided to chase me away - fast! I dropped the lopper and ran a good 30 feet away before they gave up the chase. I've been stung once this season. As the season cools, maybe these hungry bugs will seek shelter. The good news is that I have good reason for such a weedy garden.

Tonight I saw an awesome sunset. As I drove toward Minneapolis on Como Avenue, a huge pink ball sat atop two of the towers - how I wish I would have had a camera. The ball sat between other towers - it looked like the towers were holding it up. The ball looked to be about 1/2 the size of the tallest tower. I hope you got the chance to see that sunset.

Good wishes go to you - Happy Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment